I have noticed that it is always j-u-s-t as Per is falling asleep that I get an itch behind my ear or on the back of my head, or on the back of my knee... really weird places that I can't reach very well with a sleeping baby in my arms. I do my best to remain still and ignore the itch so as not to disturb Per, but it doesn't always work. And sometimes I sneeze just as he's going to sleep, even though I try really hard not to. Normally he wakes up a little, and then I rock him back to sleep and all is well.
In those moments, I know that in another time and place I would have been annoyed and upset that the baby had just woken up, whether it was a niece, nephew, or someone else's baby who I was tending. Now, I just enjoy the fact that I have my little boy in my arms and that I get to rock him to sleep again. Besides, look at that sleeping face. Absolutely priceless.
I think having children is one of the most wonderful blessings we have in this life. We think that they need us, and they do, but I think that we need them much more.

0 comments:
Post a Comment