Monday, February 28, 2011

Poor Empty Pants

I made these pants for Per Saturday night, as he had very helpfully gotten marker on his other khaki Sunday pants. Found the pattern here. Loving the Celebrate the Boy month that is going on on MADE and Made by Rae. There are some variations on the pants on her site which I am really excited to try making, too! The pants were really easy to make (And I am not great with sewing clothes. Really. I'm not.). It took me an hour from the time I decided to make them to completion. I used some fabric my mom sent me a while back (thanks, Mom!).
And then I remembered these pants from circa 1978 and dug out this picture from my parents' slide collection. (My sister left a comment that these pants were made for her and she was totally embarrassed to wear them because my DAD made them! GASP! I think that's awesome! And, BTW, I would totally wear those pants if I had them.)

And so I thought a little Dr. Seuss was apropos:

I put my arm around their waist
And sat right down beside them.
I calmed them down.
Poor empty pants
With nobody inside them.

I guess we have a sort of family tradition with Empty Pants. Poor things.

4 comments:

Carolyn said...

LOL - I needed a good laugh this morning, Sarah. Much thanks. :)

Wendy said...

HA HA HA HA HA! You know those pants were made for me and I was so embarrassed that DAD! made them for me, yes, you read right, Dad made those pants! I think I only wore them once or twice, they were pretty stiff, even after a few washings.

Love the memories. I hope Per loves his new pants more than I loved mine!!

Karen said...

Too funny, we Knutti's are seriously weird folk:)

Barb said...

Cute pants and even better with a person in them. How do you get them to stand up, anyway?
It's a little freaky.