Saturday, March 17, 2007

Spring Break

Well, well. I find it so hard to blog consistently. My apologies to those of you who are faithful bloggers and who also faithfully check others' blogs, hoping for new posts. I have good intentions, though I know those don't do anything but pave a road I have no interest in taking...
Zak and I took a trip to St. Louis over spring break, and we had a lot of fun. We were able to see my parents and to see Nikkol, Corey, and their kids, Beck, Kaiya, and Crede. We made trips to the St. Louis History Museum (there were cool exhibits on the first horseless carriages in St. Louis and one on Charles Lindbergh), the Magic House (found out we missed some of the cooler stuff -- we're just amateurs, so that's why -- we didn't know where to go), Laclede's Landing, and the Arch. My mom and dad's newly remodeled kitchen is very nice! It was fun to see it in person after seeing all the pictures. It seems so much bigger than before. We had a great time talking and catching up on things.
We spent quite a while on the MetroLink on Wednesday afternoon--much more time than we'd planned. Zak and I thought it would be fun to take the MetroLink into the city to see the Arch and have a bite to eat somewhere on Laclede's Landing, so that's what we did. We found a restaurant called Hannegan's which had good food and a fun, downtown-1930s kind of atmosphere (if that makes sense). Then we walked around the Arch and down by the riverfront as it poured rain. Luckily, I had a jacket with a hood, so I was okay, but poor Zak got soaked! After we were done at the Arch, we hopped back on the first westbound Metro we saw, and didn't pay attention to the fact that we would need to switch trains at the Forest Park station to get back to the place we parked and got on MetroLink. So instead of a short, twenty-minute trip back to the Galleria, we found ourselves all the way out at the airport. There were plenty of colorful characters on the Metro with us. It's such a totally different culture than what I'm now used to, living in Utah. Once we got headed back in the right direction, we managed to switch trains and get back to where we needed to go. It was a fun little hour-and-a-half adventure. All in all, the trip was enjoyable, except for the fact that I wasn't feeling very good the whole time. I always seem to get sick while on vacation. C'est la vie.
Zak, the lucky devil, got to stay in St. Louis after I flew back to Utah on Wednesday. He has been helping out at Nik and Corey's house and discovering that parenting isn't as easy as it looks to those on the outside of things. Nikki has been getting ready for a huge stake extravaganza and Zak has been able to watch Beck, Kaiya, and Crede for her while she sets things up at the church building. Some of the things I have been hearing in our frequent phone calls are, "Man, this is exhausting!" and "I am so tired!" He has discovered that Happy Meals and movies are very effective bribery tools. The movies give him much-needed chance to nap. I know he is enjoying being there, but I sure miss him and will be glad for him to fly home Monday night!
Today I took my first scooter ride of the year! Unfortunately, it was to get to work. But still, it's great to have it warming up enough to ride again! I have missed riding the scooter during the winter months. It's great to finally have spring arriving.

0 comments: