
Zak really dislikes box elder bugs. I think they might be some sort of cousin to fireflies. They move slowly, they sometimes fly, and they reproduce like crazy. Box elders are fairly harmless, but I guess for Zak, there's something especially annoying about them.
He has gone through several stages with the box elders. He started by burning nests of them whenever he could find them, then moved on to spraying poison every place he thought they might be living and breeding, and since they are still ubiquitous, moved on to eating them, starting last night.
We were playing Mafia at his parents' house and the bugs were buzzing around, and one landed on him. He announced, after brushing off the offending bug (is there any other kind?), that if one more box elder bug landed on him, he would eat it. We all laughed, thinking he was just joking, as he is wont to do.
The moment of truth arrived when another box elder bug landed somewhere on Zak...an arm, a leg, someplace; he grabbed it, placed it on his tongue, and swallowed it. He repeated the process twice more before the evening ended. Is anyone else hearing the theme to Survivor playing in the background?
I have to admit, box elders are not my favorite bug either. I don't have a favorite bug, because in general, I don't think or care about them at all. They make me jump when I find one crawling on my leg, arm, or shoulder, or when one is buzzing around my head when I'm trying to read. But despite the occasional annoyance of having them crawl on me, I don't think I would ever eat one. Blech.

1 comments:
Your husband is certainly...what's the word..."special." He does some crazy things...always good for a laugh. I hope things are going well for you guys! Miss you!
Post a Comment