Saturday, August 08, 2009

Green Smoothie Recipe

Here is the green smoothie recipe for those who are interested:

2-4 leaves kale
1-2 bananas
2-5 strawberries
2-3 dates (these are to sweeten)
1/2 cup - 1 cup water or ice

Puree all ingredients in blender. I usually make my green smoothies with the higher amount of ingredients, so 4 leaves kale, 2 bananas, 5 strawberries (I use frozen since they aren't really in season anymore), 3 dates, 1 cup water. This makes about 3 cups of smoothie. I usually have 2 cups' worth myself and save the last cup for Per. Also, you can definitely change up the fruit you use (I have heard you can use an avocado instead of bananas--they are there to emulsify--but haven't tried it myself yet), or even try spinach instead of kale. If you want it to be more smoothie-like, use ice instead of water.
It's really good for you, so as long as you drink one of these every day, then you don't have to feel quite so bad about eating all those Double Stuf Oreos just before bed. Although I'm sure you'd be a lot healthier if you'd just skip the Double Stuf Oreos.

Enjoy your green smoothies!

2 comments:

Amber said...

We love green smoothies in our house too. Well, Hunter doesn't love them so much...he's a funny kid - he loves straight up fruits and vegetables, but when you put a smoothie in front of him it's a no-go. Whatever, he's still a good little eater.

megan and darin said...

thank you!