Thursday, September 08, 2005

The Weekly Update

Today didn't start off really well. I put on a white shirt this morning, preparing to walk out the door to an early work meeting, and promptly spilled my Carnation instant breakfast down the front of it. If it had been the vanilla flavor, maybe I could've gotten away with wearing the shirt still, but alas, it was the rich milk chocolate flavor and very brown. Then I put on another shirt--this one was too small and I couldn't get it buttoned (time to clean out the old closet). The third shirt I put on was far too wrinkled to wear to work, Zak told me. So then I just gave up and pulled on a t-shirt so that I could get to my early meeting. While I was gone, Zak kindly ironed my shirt so that when I got back I could change quickly and get to work.
The past week has been rather quiet, but I have a few fun things to share from the weekend. Saturday night Zak and I went to the house of a couple in our ward, had a backyard BBQ (v.g. - very good, for those Bridget Jones's Diary afficianadoes out there), and went miniature golfing. This was my first experience with mini-golf, and I quite liked it. We had a good time with James and Juli, and Zak was almost par for the course! It was a par 49 course, and he got 50 (v.g.). I, of course, was more like 62.... (n.v.g.)
Sunday night Zak decided that we needed a little fresh air, so we went for a "walk" around Hyrum Dam in the south end of the valley. Apparently (and unbeknownst to us) the water had been so high earlier in the summer that the pathway around the lake was washed out. We exited the path before we got to that point, however, because anytime we are near a somewhat large body of water, rocks must be skipped. I stink at this, but Zak is very good at skipping rocks. We couldn't find the path again, so we continued our walk along the rocky shore - it has so many rocks that it can't be called a beach. It's just shore. We walked quite a ways around the water to a jutting piece of land called Big Toe. (Looks just like its name.) At this point, it was beginning to get dark, and thunder had been threatening ominously from the other side of the lake for about 20 minutes. We found a way up the back of Big Toe to the road. It was just about straight up, so that was fun and athletic. Good thing Zak has me keep a pair of running shoes in the trunk of the car for occasions just like these - I am almost always to be found in flip flops during warm weather.
We finally got to the road by walking through someone's back yard. Luckily it was pretty big, so no one noticed. As we began the trudge back to the car, it began to rain. We were next to a church building when lightning struck PRETTY close to us. I couldn't begin to estimate how close, but I could smell a burned smell in the air, so that's PRETTY close. We didn't realize the storm was moving so fast! We ran into the building and waited the storm out for a few minutes. Luckily, it was unlocked and we could use the restroom and get some water. Then we finished walking back to the car just as the rain let up. All in all, while not being something I care to repeat, it makes a fun memory.
On Monday Zak and I slept in very late. I love sleeping in, and get to very rarely these days. We went over to Zak's parents' house and did laundry. We also went back into town with Burke and Rhett for a few hours while the laundry was going. We test-rode some beach cruiser bikes (that's the kind I learned on - I'm sure many of my siblings will remember the green bike with the cushy white seat --or denim covered seat-- and pedal brakes) and enjoyed that.
That night, we all watched in amazement as Burke fit 5 (yes, FIVE) McDonald's double cheeseburgers into his mouth at one time. It was without a doubt, the grossest thing I have witnessed in person to this point in my life. But quite amazing, all the same.
Work has been very, very quiet this week. I didn't even close a loan until this morning. I just discovered that an old co-worker from a prior job has been hired at the CU, so I am excited to see her around.
That's about all the news...except that we got cable yesterday!! It's just the basic, ten-dollar-a-month variety, but I am pretty stoked. We haven't had tv at all this first year of marriage. So it will be fun to have that once more.
I hope all of you are doing well and that things are great! Love to hear from you when you have the time.

1 comments:

Sarah said...

By the way, me again. Don't worry, I spilled my drink at lunch down the front of my white shirt. That's three shirts today, folks. Three.