Monday, July 28, 2008

Pregnancy Meme

I admit it. My brain cells do not work as well as they used to before I got pregnant. Lately I cannot think of things to blog about. So I searched and found this pregnancy meme. And incidentally, here's an article about how womens' brains shrink during the last part of pregnancy: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_19970109/ai_n9648385

I Am This Far Along: 39 weeks, 3 days

The BEST Part of Being Pregnant Is: Getting to experience this miracle of life. It is amazing to think that almost nine months ago, a process started with two little cells (don't worry, I'm not going to get any more graphic than that) and now the cells have multiplied, grown, and developed into my baby boy, who I can feel kicking me. All. The. Time.

The WORST Part of Being Pregnant Is: I have been exceptionally lucky to have a really easy and good pregnancy, so I really can't complain about any part of pregnancy. I barely remember the all-day sickness of the first trimester, but I think that was the worst part of my pregnancy, if I have to pick one. I never wanted to eat, but I knew that I had to eat. Then I would eat, and I would feel even worse than before. I don't like to feel sick, so that part of being pregnant -- the off-and-on sick feelings you get -- are not very fun.

This Has Been My Most Ridiculous Craving So Far: Steak Baja Gorditas from Taco Bell. However, I stopped eating them part way through the second trimester when I realized that my body just didn't feel good after giving in to this craving.

This Is The Nick-Name We Have Come Up With For the Fetus: We used to call the fetus The Peanut or something generic like that. I know that I wrote it down in a journal, which I don't happen to have with me. See article about brain shrinkage at top.

This Was The Time I Felt The Most "Pregnant": The last week or so. I am getting soooo ready to have the baby and I feel enormous. Also, I have finally stopped exercising in the last week and I really miss it. But it was just getting too difficult to exercise with the fetal girth. Plus, the Braxton-Hicks are coming all by themselves all the time and I didn't feel a need to actually induce them by exercising.

This Is The WORST Baby Name My Husband/Family/Coworker Has Suggested So Far: Zak, I am so sorry, but I have to put this out there: Breeze Anne. Zak really likes this name for a girl, so fortunately for me, we're having a boy and we didn't have to cross this bridge. I really don't like the name (it brings to mind a cheap-looking cocktail waitress named "Breezie" -- my sincere apologies to anyone whose parents saddled them with this name, or to anyone who does like the name -- I can't shake the image it brings to mind when I hear it and I really don't want to associate that image with any child of mine).

The Silliest Piece Of Unsolicited Advice I Have Received Thus Far Is: Sheesh. I don't really know the answer to this one. I have gotten lots of advice and if I don't want to take it, I promptly forget it. See link to article above about shrinking brain. The storage space in my brain is at a premium just now, and I don't have room to remember silly advice that I'm not going to take anyway.

People Have/Haven't Started To Touch My Belly Without Asking: A few people have, but as soon as they see the look on my face, they draw back quickly. It's weird to me that some people think it's fine to walk up to a pregnant woman and touch her belly. Just because she's pregnant doesn't mean her belly isn't a part of her body anymore, or that it's open season for anyone who wants to touch it. Wait to be invited. If the invitation doesn't come and you really want to feel the belly, then ask. But otherwise: Please. Don't. Touch. The. Belly.

I Believe The Baby Is A (Boy or Girl?): He's definitely a boy. There's no question about it.

Funniest Place I Have Unwittingly Fallen Asleep: Don't tell my boss, but I've been starting to nod off at work. I haven't fallen fully asleep at my desk, but there have been quiet times when I'm not super-busy and I have really started the head-nodding-and-jerking process and have had to get up and get a drink of water or walk around the building for a minute. My body is just so tired!

My Pregnancy IDOL Is: Any woman who goes through pregnancy! It's a tough thing to do, whether you have an easy and good pregnancy as I have had, or if you end up with preeclampsia or hyperemesis or any other number of difficult conditions pregnant women go through.

So the long and the short of my particular situation is this: I am due in four days. If I don't go into labor by 8/8/08, I will be induced. I think that would be a really cool birthday for our baby to have since the numbers are all 8's and also because the Olympics start that day. But rest assured, I am quite happy to have him come anytime between now and then.

1 comments:

Katie said...

I've never understood the belly touching phenomenon either.

Sending good, easy labor and delivery vibes your way...