
Here are five simple rules for proper knife safety:
1. Never touch the knife blade. Never let the knife blade touch you.
2. Use a knife only for its intended purpose.
3. Let a falling knife fall. Do not try to catch the knife.
4. Carry knives with the cutting edge angled away from your body.
5. Never pull a knife toward any part of your body while cutting something.
Here's the story that goes along with the knife safety rules, specifically rule #5:
It's Tuesday afternoon. It's my day off work, so I've been doing some shopping, and now I'm checking out at Fred Meyer. (Well, it's Smith's Marketplace, but it used to be Fred Meyer and we still call it that to differentiate between that store and the regular Smith's grocery store. I digress.)
My cell phone rings. It's Zak. He says, "Hey, so, do you think that our insurance will cover it if I get some stitches?" WHAT?!? More explanation, please, double quick!
He had a very close encounter with a razor blade knife at work as he was trying to cut open a box that had a stubborn plastic zip-tie on it. In fact, the encounter was close enough that the razor blade struck the bone in his arm. Yeah. So a 2 centimeter portion of his wrist was laid open pre-e-tty far and he was debating as to whether or not he ought to go into the Urgent Care clinic and get it looked at or if he'd be okay to just super-glue it shut and keep on working. Good thing that his dad was there and saw the wound and decided that Zak didn't have a choice.
Luckily, he missed all essentials in the wrist, such as tendons, arteries (only a 1/2 inch away, though, if you don't mind...), etc. He needed 7 stitches to close it up and later lamented to me that he wished he hadn't allowed the doctor to use some lidocaine to numb the area up first. He was curious as to how painful it would've been to have the stitches without it. Right. Well. Moving on.
Zak's favorite part of the whole ordeal was that right after the cut happened, a spurt of blood shot a foot or two away and made a puddle on the ground. Thank goodness that he immediately applied pressure and that someone had the presence of mind to grab some gauze and tape and get a pressure bandage on it until it could be stitched up.
So that wasn't really how I was planning to spend my afternoon, but I was grateful that I had the day off work and was able to meet Zak at the Urgent Care clinic and be there while he got stitched up. Many thanks, as well, to the doctor who stitched Zak up and gave Zak basic lessons on how he could do it himself (should the need ever arise) as he stitched. (The last portion of this sentence is dripping with sarcasm--I thought I'd better make that clear in case it isn't completely obvious.) I am also glad that Barb was there to take pictures of the wound with her camera phone since I really wasn't feeling like that was something I wanted to do.
Zak is back at work today with an only-slightly-sore arm (from the tetanus shot) and has promised that he will not pull a knife toward any part of his body while he uses it to cut something.

5 comments:
Makes you wonder how he got to be this old doesn't it. Men are such interesting creatures.
I am glad that he is alright. Those wrist things aren't much fun. I remember.
Nelly!! That is nuts. Good to hear he's back at work and in one piece. Really good about the one piece part.
Yikes! And can I just say Yikes! I am glad that he's ok. Are you ok? It makes my wrist hurt just thinking about it. Hope you are feeling alright and surviving this last month!
You joke about Zak stitching himself up, but that's totally something daniel would do. He's done surgery on his toe before when it was ingrown. He just shot up his toe with lidocain and dug around until he pulled out a huge chunk of toenail. Totally gross and he was bleeding all over my kitchen chair and floor. He has actually done a number of minor surgeries on himself. He also keeps a kit here at home with needles, lidocain, stitching kits, etc just in case the need arises. He's actually stitched up a few kids in the ward. Sometimes it is handy to have a doctor around. I hope Zak is healing up well!
Sounds exciting! I'm glad he is alright. Good advice about the knife thing! Hang in there for this last month. It is worth it.
Post a Comment