Tuesday, August 09, 2005

The Secret Society of the Fence-Fixers

I think this title sounds like a Nancy Drew or Hardy Boys book, don't you? Let me tell you about the secret society of the fence-fixers. It all started, naturally, with a fence. We have a wooden fence on the east side of the half of a house that we rent, kind of by our "garden" area (aka the muddy patch on the side of the house). We think the fence belongs to the neighbors on our east side, but it's hard to tell, since we're just renters and not owners. It has been falling down and looking really junky since we moved in last summer. (Junky because their backyard is a plethora of garbage. Charmed, I'm sure.) It got significantly worse during the winter with all the snow. This spring, a few sections of it fell down completely and the neighbors put those sections on our lawn/garden area. Rude of them, I think. It's not our fence! Well, anyway, in the past few weeks, Zak has been saying that he's going to fix the fence. He's gotten tired of it being in our yard and so have I.
I didn't really think he was going to do it (sorry, Z) but he actually did! It's the manner in which he went about fixing it that is funny. He decided that it was best to do it under the cover of night, so the neighbors wouldn't ask questions if it really is their fence (we are pretty convinced it is). I thought it would be harder to do something like that at night instead of in the broad daylight, and if the neighbors don't like it, then they can fix it. Well, needless to say, the plan proceeded in the way Zak wanted and he secretly started fixing the fence last night. Our friend Spack came over and helped for a little bit, and Zak was nearly done when the neighbors came outside...dun dun dun! They did not, however, speak to him at all about the fence or anything else. They were just enjoying the cool night air and their Budweiser.
Zak came inside, very alarmed at this turn of events. He couldn't keep working if they were out there! I told him he could get up early the next morning and finish (the neighbors were sure to have hangovers the way they were drinking, and therefore sleep in--sound logic, right?). So that is what we did. He got up at 6 am I think, and I got up at 7 am to help him lift the last section of fence into place and to hold it while he used the drill to secure the supports. The fence is now back in place and we are not answering our door in case the neighbors come over to complain...
Happy Tuesday, everyone. ;)

0 comments: